Well, dang it

I decided to take a quick break to fly in exceptional gliding weather so I grabbed my trusty Chrysalis 2M electric sailplane. After a rather short first hop I discovered that the brake wasn’t set aggressively enough and the prop continued to windmill. No problem. Put the beans to it and when the motor gets shut off by the ALES switch just stall the plane and the prop will slow down enough to fold. Second flight was short but only because I dumb thumbed it a few times. Third hop was nice and brisk right on up to 200m where the switch cut off and I got another 10 minute flight on it. I decided to go ahead and land to reset the camera mounted on top of the wing so I brought it in. My typical launch involves me throwing the plane at the sky and letting it glide for a moment while I get my hands on the sticks before I give it the beans. Once I applied power I quickly realized that I only had one blade and shut the power off but not before it shook the firewall loose. Apparently a pivot screw had worked it’s way out and the impact of landing was enough for the blade to seperate from the hub. I assumed I’d lost it in flight so I just packed everything up and went home. It wasn’t until I reviewed the video that it became evident where I actually lost the blade. Dang it. Oh well.

This poor fuse has been through heck and back so I’ve decide to retire it. I threw together a quick (for me) 3D sketch of what I think I’ll build as it’s replacement. The emphasis is on removing as much weight as practical from the tail so this will be a pod and boom affair with a carbon fiber tube inserted into a balsa/ply pod. Basic dimensions are similar to the Chrysalis but I’ll use a cruciform tail to simplify and speed construction. I do like the V-tail but a cruciform tail is faster to build and much faster to set up. There’s zero chance I’ll be able to tell the performance differences with a wooden ship that *I* built.

So now for the teaser, the first screen shot.

Leave a Reply